FDLP eXchange provides libraries in the Federal Depository Library Program with a one-stop-shop for the entire needs and offers process. FDLP eXchange automates disposition processing by allowing libraries to enter information on materials they want to discard and to have the process managed by an automated workflow. The application also allows libraries to enter information on materials needed for their collections or digitization efforts.
The user-friendly design includes an easy-to-use interface, as well as many convenient features. This includes options to manually enter records or upload spreadsheets from a library’s catalog, and the entire site is mobile ready. The automated workflow moves offers through the process of offering materials first to the library’s regional depository, then to other selectives in the same region, then to libraries across the country. A matching function matches one library’s offers with other libraries’ needs and provides notification to both libraries when there is a match. The in-site communication tool allows libraries to communicate within the application through an interface that allows colleagues to collaborate on requests placed with other libraries.
FDLP eXchange Production Site
The FDLP eXchange production site allows regions that have adopted the application as part of their disposition process to manage the entire process in a single location. Selective depositories can enter offers for review by their regional depositories. When the regional has completed their review, unneeded materials move on to review by other selectives in the region. Materials not claimed by the regional or other selectives in the region move on to be offered nationally if the library has chosen to offer materials outside their region. All libraries can post needs and receive notification when their need matches another library’s offer.
Libraries in regions that have not adopted FDLP eXchange for their disposition process may still use FDLP eXchange to offers materials nationally after they have been offered within their region and remain unclaimed. These libraries may also post needs to receive notification when their need matches another library’s offer.
Selectives should continue to follow guidance from their regionals. Consult your regional depository library coordinator if you have questions.
FDLP eXchange Training Site
The FDLP eXchange Training Site provides libraries with a sandbox environment where they can test the application and learn to use it. The site also gives regionals an opportunity to test the application within their region and determine their own procedures if they choose to use the application as part of the disposition process. The training site has full functionality – with the exception of email notifications.
Users should remember that records in the training site are test records. Offers of materials that are actually being processed for discard should be offered in the production site. Likewise, needs that libraries are actually trying to fill should be entered on the production site.
Training Materials & Templates
- Data Dictionary
- Spreadsheet Templates and Samples
- Instructions for Converting an XLSX Spreadsheet into CSV
- FDLP eXchange Tips
- FDLP eXchange QuickStart Guide
- Training Videos
- Getting Started – Regionals (5 minutes, 57 seconds)
- Getting Started – Selectives (5 minutes, 17 seconds)
- My eXchange (3 minutes)
- Advanced Search (2 minutes)
- Need and Offers Repository (2 minutes)
- Regional Dashboard (2 minutes)
- Selective Dashboard (1 minute)
- Entering a Need Using the Form (3 minutes, 38 seconds)
- Creating a Needs Spreadsheet (9 minutes)
- Uploading a Spreadsheet of Needs with Fewer than 250 Entries in FDLP eXchange (4 minutes)
- Uploading a Spreadsheet of Needs with More than 250 Entries in FDLP eXchange (1 minute)
- Entering an Offer Using the Form (6 minutes, 25 seconds)
- Creating an Offers Spreadsheet in FDLP eXchange (13 minutes)
- Uploading a Spreadsheet of Offers with Fewer than 250 Entries in FDLP eXchange ( 3 minutes)
- Uploading a Spreadsheet of Offers with More than 250 Entries in FDLP eXchange (1 minute)
- Reviewing Offers from Selectives (4 minutes, 54 seconds)
- Approving Items for Submission (3 minutes, 8 seconds)
- Recorded Webinars
- FDLP eXchange: The Live Site vs The Training Site: webinar, June 2018
- FDLP eXchange Training for Regionals: webinar, August 2018
- FDLP eXchange Training for Selectives: webinar, August 2018
- FDLP eXchange Training: Creating Spreadsheets: webinar, August 2018
- Guidance on Weeding a Depository Collection