On April 12, 2011, President Obama received the first book of the Public Papers of the President of the United States from his administration. The 1,084-page book was presented in navy blue binding* with gold stamping by Public Printer Bill Boarman, Archivist David Ferriero, and Director of the Federal Register Ray Mosley.
Compiled by the National Archives and Records Administration’s (NARA) Office of the Federal Register (OFR), the Public Papers of the Presidents contains the papers and speeches of the President that were issued by the Office of the Press Secretary during a specified time period.
Book 1 contains public writings, addresses, remarks, and photographs that occurred from January 20-June 30, 2009. Tweets, blogs, Facebook posts, and YouTube videos are not included in the Public Papers.
The Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, Barack Obama, Book 1 will be distributed to Federal depository libraries in paper format under:
- Title: Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States, Barack H. Obama, Book 1, January 20 to June 30, 2009
- Class: AE 2.114:2009/BK.1
- Item Number: 0574-A
- Shipping List: 2011-0035-S
- PURL: http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS4752
- CGP System Number: 582117 (paper) | 636663 (online)
The publication is available online from GPO’s Federal Digital System. Hardbound editions are available for purchase from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
* Each President selects their choice of binding color.