U.S. Department of the Treasury Content on FDsys
- Category: Partnership Showcase
- Published: December 20 2012
The U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) and the U.S. Department of the Treasury began the new fiscal year by entering into a content partnership. The partnership provides for permanent public access, through GPO’s Federal Digital System (FDsys), to digitized historical content from the Treasury Library.
As part of the partnership pilot project, GPO will authenticate, archive, and catalog the Treasury Library’s digital content. The bibliographic records in the Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP) will provide additional access points to the Treasury Library Collection on FDsys. In addition, this pilot project will serve as the processing framework for future GPO agreements with agencies to provide permanent public access to U.S. Government information through FDsys.
The first title released on FDsys under this partnership is Treasury Reporting Rates of Exchange, 1956-2005. This is the source to consult when you need historical exchange rates of foreign currencies based on the dollar. This collection has received more than 9,000 retrievals since its release on October 15.
Availability of this digitized historical content is only the beginning. Over the next year, four additional historical U.S. Government information titles within the scope of the Federal Depository Library Program will be made available on FDsys as part of this partnership pilot. These titles are:
- The Official Register of the United States: 1829, 1835-1837, 1841-1861; 1879-1891, 1895-1907, 1911-1921, 1925-1926, 1929-1934, 1936-1959, a publication with information about the Federal workforce, including the name of every employee, their job title, state or country of birth, the location of their post, and their annual salary.
- An Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of the United States: 1793; 1797; 1805-06; 1808-09; 1812-1828; 1830-1890. This publication documents detailed statements of receipts and expenditures of the U.S. Government appropriations, including balances of the current and previous fiscal years, payments during the year, sums carried to surplus funds, and balances unexpended at the end of the year.
- Combined Statement of the Receipts and Expenditures of the United States: 1872-1983, which contains fiscal year receipts and expenditures of the Government by appropriations.
- Internal Revenue Cumulative Bulletins: 1919-2008. This is a consolidation of all items of permanent nature published in the Internal Revenue Bulletins (IRB). IRBs are the authoritative instrument of announcing official rulings and procedures of the Internal Revenue Service and Treasury Decisions, Executive Orders, Tax Conventions, legislation, court decisions, and other items of general interest.
GPO and Treasury’s partnership is a successful demonstration of Government collaboration and the commitment by both agencies to public access to U.S. Government information.